Friday, March 8, 2013

Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam 8



Shapes of all Sorts and Sizes, great and small, 
That stood along the floor and by the wall; 
And some loquacious Vessels were; and some 
Listen'd perhaps, but never talk'd at all.

Said one among them--"Surely not in vain 
My substance of the common Earth was ta'en 
And to this Figure moulded, to be broke, 
Or trampled back to shapeless Earth again."

Then said a Second--"Ne'er a peevish Boy 
Would break the Bowl from which he drank in joy, 
And He that with his hand the Vessel made 
Will surely not in after Wrath destroy."

After a momentary silence spake 
Some Vessel of a more ungainly Make; 
"They sneer at me for leaning all awry: 
What! did the Hand then of the Potter shake?"

Whereat some one of the loquacious Lot-- 
I think a Sufi pipkin-waxing hot-- 
"All this of Pot and Potter--Tell me then, 
Who is the Potter, pray, and who the Pot?"

"Why," said another, "Some there are who tell 
Of one who threatens he will toss to Hell 
The luckless Pots he marr'd in making--Pish! 
He's a Good Fellow, and 'twill all be well."

"Well," Murmur'd one, "Let whoso make or buy, 
My Clay with long Oblivion is gone dry: 
But fill me with the old familiar juice, 
Methinks I might recover by and by."

So while the Vessels one by one were speaking, 
The little Moon look'd in that all were seeking: 
And then they jogg'd each other, "Brother! Brother! 
Now for the Porter's shoulder-knot a-creaking!"

Ah, with the Grape my fading Life provide, 
And wash the Body whence the Life has died, 
And lay me, shrouded in the living Leaf, 
By some not unfrequented Garden-side.

That ev'n my buried Ashes such a snare 
Of Vintage shall fling up into the Air 
As not a True-believer passing by 
But shall be overtaken unaware.

Indeed the Idols I have loved so long 
Have done my credit in this World much wrong: 
Have drown'd my Glory in a shallow Cup 
And sold my Reputation for a Song.

Indeed, indeed, Repentance of before 
I swore--but was I sober when I swore? 
And then and then came Spring, and Rose-in-hand 
My thread-bare Penitence apieces tore.

And much as Wine has play'd the Infidel, 
And robb'd me of my Robe of Honour--Well, 
I wonder often what the Vintners buy 
One half so precious as the stuff they sell.

Yet Ah, that Spring should vanish with the Rose! 
That Youth's sweet-scented manuscript should close! 
The Nightingale that in the branches sang, 
Ah, whence, and whither flown again, who knows!

Would but the Desert of the Fountain yield 
One glimpse--if dimly, yet indeed, reveal'd, 
To which the fainting Traveller might spring, 
As springs the trampled herbage of the field!

Would but some wing'ed Angel ere too late 
Arrest the yet unfolded Roll of Fate, 
And make the stern Recorder otherwise 
Enregister, or quite obliterate!

Ah, Love! could you and I with Him conspire 
To grasp this sorry Scheme of Things entire, 
Would not we shatter it to bits--and then 
Re-mould it nearer to the Heart's Desire!

Yon rising Moon that looks for us again-- 
How oft hereafter will she wax and wane; 
How oft hereafter rising look for us 
Through this same Garden--and for one in vain!

And when like her, oh, Saki, you shall pass 
Among the Guests Star-scatter'd on the Grass, 
And in your joyous errand reach the spot 
Where I made One--turn down an empty Glass! 


Omar Khayyam's Born: 18 May 1048 in Nishapur, Persia (now Iran)
Died: 4 Dec 1131 in Nishapur, Persia (now Iran)
His full name was Ghiyath al-Din Abu'l-Fath Umar ibn Ibrahim Al-Nisaburi al-Khayyami  means 'tent maker' played on the meaning of his own name when he wrote:-
               Khayyam, who stitched the tents of science,
               Has fallen in grief's furnace and been suddenly burned,
              The shears of Fate have cut the tent ropes of his life,
              And the broker of Hope has sold him for nothing!
Omar Khayyam was an Islamic scholar who was a poet as well as a mathematician. He compiled astronomical tables and contributed to calendar reform and discovered a geometrical method of solving cubic equations by intersecting a parabola with a circle.

Syafuan Gani
Doha, Qatar

No comments:

Post a Comment