Friday, January 18, 2013

I am alone with you, my God, My Lord



The stars glitter

and the eyes of men are closed.

Kings have locked their doors
and each lover is alone with his love.

Here, I am alone with you.

  
Brothers, my peace is in my alonelyness.

My Beloved is alone with me there, always.
I have found nothing in all the worlds
That could match His love,
This love that harrows the sands of my desert.
If I come to die of desire
And my Beloved is still not satisfied,
I would live in eternal despair.

To abandon all that He has fashioned
And hold in the palm of my hand
Certain proof that He loves me
That is the name and the goal of my search




My Beloved

My peace, O my brothers and sisters, is my solitude,

And my Beloved is with me always,
For His love I can find no substitute,
And His love is the test for me among mortal beings,
Whenever His Beauty I may contemplate,
He is my “mihrab”, towards Him is my “qiblah”
If I die of love, before completing satisfaction,
Alas, for my anxiety in the world, alas for my distress,
O Healer (of souls) the heart feeds upon its desire,
The striving after union with Thee has healed my soul,
O my Joy and my Life abidingly,
You were the source of my life and from Thee also came my ecstasy.
I have separated myself from all created beings,
My hope is for union with Thee, for that is the goal of my desire


My God and My Lord

Eyes are at rest, the stars are setting.

Hushed are the stirrings of birds in their nests,

Of monsters in the ocean.

You are the Just who knows no change,

The Balance that can never swerve,

The Eternal which never passes away.

The doors of Kings are bolted now and guarded by soldiers.

Your Door is open to all who call upon You.

My Lord,

Each love is now alone with his beloved.

And I am alone with You.




Quote:  Rābiʻah al-ʻAdawīyah

Rabiah al-Adawiyah
Female mystic of slave origin from Basra, introduced the doctrine of selfless love. Demonstrated the importance of attitude and spiritual motivation for actions, rather than mere ritual correctness. Emphasized ascetic detachment, renunciation of the world, meditation, and love of God. 

She was born between 95 and 99 Hijri in BasraIraq


The untold story about Rabia in regards to marriage was recorded by scholar.

Hasan al-Basri is usually referred to as being one of the closest of the Beloveds of Allah around Rabi`a in her early life. 

It is he who is recorded as being the person who said to Rabi`a, "Do you desire for us to get married?"

She replied, "The tie of marriage is for those who have being. But here being has disappeared for I have become as nothing to my self, and I exist only through Allah for I belong wholly to Him, and I live in the shadow of His control. You must
ask for my hand from Him, and not from me."

Hasan then replied, "How did you find this secret, Rabi`a?"
She answered him, "I lost all found things in Him."
Hasan then replied, "How did you come to know Him?"
She said, "You know of the how but I know of the howless."

For Rabia`s case was that she had heard the Voice of her Beloved Who was Allah and none other than He, and she had no need for any earthly husband because the only true marriage for her was with Allah Himself alone.

Syafuan Gani
Doha, Qatar

No comments:

Post a Comment