Friday, February 1, 2013

Jalaluddin Rumi


I dont adore Rumi as a sufi....or his sufism....... thats all I want to tell the reader of my blogger.

I just enjoy reading his poem as i enjoy reading Romeo & Yuliet  or Othello of Shakespeare

Enjoying to read the literature, does not mean we we follow the writer faith  and thats all I want to tell the reader of my blogger.
--------------------------------------

The name Mowlana Jalaluddin Rumi stands for  was born in Wakhsh (Tajikistan, now Modern Afghanistan) under the administration of Balkh in 30 September 1207 to a family of Muslim.

Rumi succeeded his father in 1231 as professor in religious sciencesa and the author of six volume didactic epic work.

Rumi was the sort of person that he was because he was a Muslim, not in spite of that fact as he wrote :

The day I've died, my pall is moving on
But do not think my heart is still on earth!
Don't weep and pity me: "Oh woe, how awful!

You fall in devil's snare - woe, that is awful!
Don't cry "Woe, parted!" at my burial -
For me this is the time of joyful meeting!

Don't say "Farewell!" when I'm put in the grave
A curtain is it for eternal bliss.
You saw "descending" - now look at the rising!

Is setting dangerous for sun and moon?
To you it looks like setting, but it's rising;
The coffin seems a jail, yet it means freedom.

Which seed fell in the earth that did not grow there?
Why do you doubt the fate of human seed?
What bucket came not filled from out the cistern?
Why should the Yusaf "Soul" then fear this well?

Close here your mouth and open it on that side.
So that your hymns may sound in Where- no-place!
what is samâ? A message from the fairy, hidden in your heart
with their letter comes serenity to the estranged heart.

The tree of wisdom comes to bloom with this breeze;
The inner pores of existence open to this tune.
When the spiritual cock crows, the dawn arrives

When Mars beats his drum victory is ours.
The essence of the soul was fighting the barrel of the body

When it hears the sound of the daf it matures and calms down.
A wondrous sweetness is sensed in the body;
It is the sugar that the flute and the flute-player bring to the listener.

Rumi is a kind of within the orthodox Islamic framework and ideology/world-view where his poems are also delightful. 

He represents the center of the sun, the dervishes represent the orbiting planets turning around him , sometimes make me in doubt of Rumi thought about Faith To Allah, look at the following Rumi work’s :

What is to be done, O Moslems? for I do not recognize myself.
I am neither Christian, nor Jew, nor Gabr, nor Moslem. 

I am not of the East, nor of the West, nor of the land, nor of the sea;
I am not of Nature's mint, nor of the circling' heaven.
I am not of earth, nor of water, nor of air, nor of fire

I am not of the empyrean, nor of the dust, nor of existence, nor of entity.
I am not of India, nor of China, nor of Bulgaria, nor of Saqsin
I am not of the kingdom of 'Iraqian, nor of the country of Khorasan 

I am not of the this world, nor of the next, nor of Paradise, nor of Hell
I am not of Adam, nor of Eve, nor of Eden and Rizwan. 

My place is the Placeless, my trace is the Traceless ;
'Tis neither body nor soul, for I belong to the soul of the Beloved.
I have put duality away, I have seen that the two worlds are one

One I seek, One I know J One I see, One I call.
He is the first, He is the last, He is the outward, He is the inward

I know none other except 'Ya Hu' and 'Ya man Hu.'
I am intoxicated with Love's cup, the two worlds have passed out of my keen
I have no business save carouse and revelry. 

If once in my life I spent a moment without thee,
From that time and from that hour I repent of my life. 

If once in this world I win a moment with thee,
I will trample on both worlds, I will dance in triumph for ever. 

O Shamsi Tabriz, I am so drunken in this world,
That except of drunkenness and revelry I have no tale to tell.

One of the results of this ecstasy was a prodigious output of poems about the search for the lost Divine Beloved, whom Rumi identified with Shams, symbolizing his  invention to  the famous whirling dance performed accompanied by the chanting of Rumi's poems.

His greatest poet in the Persian language, famous for his lyrics and for his didactic epic Mas̄navī-yi Maʿnavī or Spiritual Couplets, which widely influenced mystical thought and literature throughout the Muslim world. 

In Mathnawi , Rumi gives a wisdom about wealth, beauty and honor, which may came and going in second. 

He also remains us about the satans effort to persuade human kind to do wrong, then accompany them in hereafter life

Wealth has no permanence: it comes in the morning,
and at night it is scattered to the winds.
Physical beauty too has no importance,
for a rosy face is made pale by the scratch of a single thorn.

Noble birth also is of small account,
for many become fools of money and horses.
Many a nobleman's son has disgraced his father by his wicked deeds.

Don't court a person full of talent either,
even if he seems exquisite in that respect
take warning from the example of Iblis.

Iblis had knowledge, but since his love was not pure,
he saw in Adam nothing but a figure of clay.

Love to Rumi is a game, even he questioning to whom exactly our love to be as pure love is undoubtedly love to itself.  
His thought is  a practical guidance for anyone who seeks to free the mind through Sufism  to guide the practitioner well along the path to awakening as he wrote in whisper of love :

Lover whispers to my ear, Better to be a prey than a hunter.
Make yourself My fool.

Stop trying to be the sun and become a speck!
Dwell at My door and be homeless.

Don't pretend to be a candle, be a moth, so you may taste the savor of Life and know the power hidden in serving.

My heart, sit only with those who know and understand you.
Sit only under a tree that is full of blossoms.

In the bazaar of herbs and potions
don't wander aimlessly
find the shop with a potion that is sweet
If you don't have a measure people will rob you in no time.

You will take counterfeit coins thinking they are real.
Don't fill your bowl with food from every boiling pot you see.

Not every joke is humorous, so don't search for meaning where there isn't one.

Not every eye can see, not every sea is full of pearls.
My heart, sing the song of longing like nightingale.

The sound of your voice casts a spell on every stone, on every thorn.

First, lay down your head then one by one let go of all distractions.

Embrace the light and let it guide you beyond the winds of desire.

There you will find a spring and nourished by its see waters like a tree you will bear fruit forever.

I really try to understanding how or why,  endlessly looking for yet another pleasant experience , reading this repetitively, to capture my mindfulness of  thought to stay present in life. 

This mode of awareness works so well that Rumi devoted  that mindfulness of the thought  leads to freedom, to the unconditioned for awakening.

Further more, he wrote clearly in "The love of Such" thee belongs mercy and intercession for the sin of infidels and he would like bow  to kiss a dust for having thousands of desires

O thou who art my soul's comfort in the season of sorrow,
O thou who art my spirit's treasures in the bitterness of dearth 

That which the imagination has not conceived, that which the understanding has not seen.,
My soul from thee, hence in worship I turn toward thee 

By thy grace I keep fixed on eternity my amorous gaze,
Except, O king, the pomps that perish lead me astray.

The favor of that one, who brings glad tidings of thee, Even without thy summons, is sweeter in mine ear that songs.

In the prostrations of prayer thought of thee, O lord, Is necessary and binding on me as the seven verses. 

To thee belongs mercy and intercession for the sin of infidels
As regards me, thou art chief and principal of the stony-hearted.

If a never-ceasing bounty should offer kingdoms,
If a hidden treasure should set before me all that is 

I would bend down with my soul, I would lay my face in the dust,
I would say, Of all these the love of such a one for me!
Eternal life, me thinks, is the time of union,
Because time, for me, hath no place there.

Life is the vessel , union the clear draught in them
Without thee what does the pain of the vessels avail me?

I had twenty thousand desires ere this
In passion for him not even  my safety remained .

By the help of his grace I am become safe, because
The unseen king said to me, Thou art the soul of the world .

The essence of the meaning of "He" has filled my heart and soul;
"Au" cries the street-dog , and neither have I third or second .

The body, at the time of union with him, paid no regard to the spirit ;
Tho' incorporeal, he became visible unto me.

I aged with his affliction, but when Tabriz
You name, all my youth comes back to me.


O Friend! we are near you in friendship,
Wherever you set foot, we prostrate ourselves like earth.

How is it permissible, in the religion of love,
That we should see your Creation and neglect to see You?

That Friend brought me up with great care and attention

He sewed me a garment from skin and veins.
The body is like a cloak and my heart in it like a mystic

The world is like a monastery and He is my Guide.
Seek knowledge which unravels mysteries
Before your life comes to close

Give up that non-existence which looks like existence,
Seek that Existence which looks like non-existence!
There is a world outside Islam and Disbelief

We are enamoured of the atmosphere therein.
The mystic lays down his head when he reaches there.
There is neither Islam nor Disbelief in this place.

Whenever I prostrate my head He is the one to whom I bow
In six directions or outside the six, he is the one I worship.

The garden, the rose, the nightingale, music and the beauteous maiden
Are a mere excuse and He alone is the real object.

Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi died on December 17, 1273. Men of five faiths followed his bier. That night was named Sebul Arus (Night of Union). 

Ever since, the Mawlawi dervishes have kept that date as a festival.

Syafuan Gani
Doha, Qatar

No comments:

Post a Comment