Friday, February 1, 2013

Whoever Brought Me Here, Will Have To Take Me Home



All day I think about it, then at night I say it.
Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing?
I have no idea.

My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that,
and I intend to end up there.
This drunkenness began in some other tavern.

When I get back around to that place,
I'll be completely sober. Meanwhile,
I'm like a bird from another continent, sitting in this aviary.

The day is coming when I fly off,
but who is it now in my ear who hears my voice?
Who says words with my mouth?

Who looks out with my eyes? What is the soul?
I cannot stop asking.

If I could taste one sip of an answer,
I could break out of this prison for drunks.

I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.

Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.
This poetry. I never know what I'm going to say.

I don't plan it.

When I'm outside the saying of it,
I get very quiet and rarely speak at all.




Rumi, Despite a background of established accomplishment in Balkh, then a prominent city, the family moved away about 1218 C.E. due to the threat posed by warlike Mongol Khans.

Following eventual settlement at Konya, then the capital of the western Seljuk Turks, Rumi's father was busy as an Islamic theologian, teacher and preacher. Rumi followed in this tradition and, in 1231 C.E., succeeded to his fathers post as a prominent religious teacher as  Rumi Wrote :.

Whenever Beauty looks,
Love is also there;
Whenever beauty shows a rosy cheek
Love lights Her fire from that flame.

When beauty dwells in the dark folds of night
Love comes and finds a heart
entangled in tresses.

Beauty and Love are as body and soul.
Beauty is the mine, Love is the diamond.

They have together
since the beginning of time-
Side by side, step by step. 

Rumi’s popularity has gone beyond national and ethnic borders.

Rumi's frequent use of ardent, earthy imagery to describe his affinity with his beloved Shams also is in keeping with the conventions of Persian love poetry:

Now that You live here in my chest, anywhere we sit is a mountaintop.

And those other images, which have enchanted people
like porcelain dolls from China, which have made men and women weep
for centuries, even those have changed now.

What used to be pain is a lovely bench where we can rest under the roses.
A left hand has become a right. A dark wall, a window.
A cushion in a shoe heel, the leader of the community!
Now silence. What we say is poison to some and nourishing to others.
What we say is a ripe fig, but not every bird that flies eats figs.” 



Rumi’s vision was union with his beloved’ and belief poetry, songs and dance was all a way to reach God. describes love as:
The lover’s cause is separate from all other causes
Love is the astrolabe of God’s mysteries
When we are dead, seek not our tomb in the earth,
but find it in the hearts of men.
shown in these words said by him:
Why should I seek? I am the same as
He. His essence speaks through me.
I have been looking for myself!

Syafuan Gani
Doha, Qatar

No comments:

Post a Comment