Friday, February 1, 2013

One Whisper of the Beloved


Lovers share a sacred decree -
to seek the Beloved.
They roll head over heels,
rushing toward the Beautiful One
like a torrent of water.


In truth, everyone is a shadow of the Beloved -
Our seeking is His seeking,
Our words are His words.
At times we flow toward the Beloved
like a dancing stream.

At times we are still water
held in His pitcher.
At times we boil in a pot
turning to vapor -


that is the job of the Beloved.

He breathes into my ear
until my soul
takes on His fragrance.


He is the soul of my soul -
How can I escape?
But why would any soul in this world
want to escape from the Beloved?


He will melt your pride
making you thin as a strand of hair,
Yet do not trade, even for both worlds,
One strand of His hair.


We search for Him here and there
while looking right at Him.
Sitting by His side we ask,
"O Beloved, where is the Beloved?"


Enough with such questions! -
Let silence take you to the core of life.

All your talk is worthless
When compared to one whisper
of the Beloved.



Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī , also known as Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī and more popularly in the English-speaking world simply as Rumi (30 September 1207 – 17 December 1273), was a 13th-century  Muslim poet, jurist, theologian, and Sufi mystic. 

His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's languages and transposed into various formats. In 2007, he was described as the "most popular poet in America.

A Stone I died
A stone I died and rose again a plant;
A plant I died and rose an animal;
I died an animal and was born a man.
Why should I fear? What have I lost by death?

Rumi's most famous work in 7 books, and 24,660 couplets, in Farsi and some Arabic. This work is also commonly refered to as the Persian Treasure.


Rumi's work; his meditations on love often shed light upon its illuminating its transformational potential Rumi writes:
 You are in love with me, I shall make you perplexed.
Do not build much, for I intend to have you in ruins.
If you build two hundred houses in a manner that the bees do;
I shall make you as homeless as a fly.
If you are the mount Qaf in stability.
I shall make you whirl like a millstone.

Syafuan Gani
Doha, Qatar

No comments:

Post a Comment